Leave of Absence
The purpose of a leave of absence (policy 56-70) is to allow students to interrupt continuous enrollment (usually for not more than one year) without having to apply for re-enrollment and without changing conditions of their academic program.
- Leave of absence is available to baccalaureate degree, associate degree, and medical degree candidates only.
- The deadline for filing a Leave of Absence Form is the last working day prior to the first day of classes for the semester the leave will begin.
- A leave of absence is not required for summer session.
- You will be expected to return to the University according to the conditions of your approved leave.
- If you return to school earlier or later than approved, you must make application for re-enrollment.
- You may not enroll in any Penn State courses.
- You may enroll in courses offered by another accredited institution.
- While on a leave, you can request a continuation of your Penn State access account by filling out the Penn State Access Account Extension for Student Leave of Absence Form. There is a fee for this continued service which is explained on the form.