Penn State Mark

Name Changes and Corrections

  • Name change requests must be in writing and will not be accepted via the telephone.
  • Diploma name changes for students from other countries that require the mother's maiden name to appear as the last name on the diploma, are permitted when adding to, but not substituting for, the student's legal name on the academic record. Requests for this action must be made in writing, but the requirement for two proofs of identification is waived.
  • Students who are receiving any form of federal or state student aid are required to change their name with the Social Security Administration before changing their name with Penn State.


  1. Complete the Name Change Form.
  2. Provide two forms of identification bearing the revised name requested, one of which contains a photograph:
    • Social Security Card (required if receiving federal or state student aid)
    • Driver's license
    • Passport
    • Court issued document
    • Birth certificate
    • Marriage license
    • Divorce decree