Change of Campus
Undergraduate degree-seeking students admitted to the University as a first-year student may begin at one of twenty Penn State campuses. All of these campuses generally provide the basic foundation courses required of first and second-year students.
Students generally declare their academic major at the end of their second year of enrollment during the entrance to major process. If the student applies for a major that is not offered at the student's current location, the student will be required to select an approved location during the entrance to major process (policy D1, D2).
- Students may be required by their major to change campus locations earlier. The student will be informed by their academic college.
- Students may request an early change of campus in order to maintain normal academic progress when they are unable to obtain a full schedule of relevant courses at their current campus. Students requesting an early change of campus because of academic reasons are expected to remain in their current major, and schedule courses consistent with that major at the new campus.
- Requests for an early change of campus because of personal reasons may be considered. However, the student must document that there are clear and compelling reasons why an early change of campus should be considered.
- Students may request to remain at their current campus longer than the expected time period for their major.
How to Request a Change of Campus
- Students at University Park initiate an early campus change or request to remain at University Park by contacting their academic college or the Division of Undergraduate Studies if appropriate.
- Students at locations other than University Park initiate an early
campus change or a request to remain at their current campus by contacting the campus representative at their current campus.
Summer-Only Change of Campus
Students may register at any Penn State campus for summer sessions;
therefore, no change of campus is required. You will be expected to return to your previous campus location for fall semester. If you would like to request a change of campus for the fall semester follow the change of campus instructions above.
Temporary Change of Campus
Students may request a temporary change of campus for one semester only (fall or spring) for academic or personal reasons (policy D5). Students requesting this change must document clear and compelling reasons why this request should be considered.
If the request is approved:
- it is valid for one semester only
- the student's location will automatically change back to their current campus at the end of one semester
- in most cases, students who are approved for temporary change of campus will be assigned two academic advisers, one at their home campus and one at the temporary campus
How to Request a Temporary Change of Campus
- In the LionPATH Student Center, submit a Temporary Change of Campus request using "Update Campus."
- If you are requesting a temporary change of campus for academic reasons, enter the course(s) you plan to take at the requested campus that are not available at your current campus.
Students will be notified by email regarding the decision of the request.
For more information about Change of Campus, please visit the Penn State Change of Campus website.