If you are unable to complete the semester, you may choose to withdraw from the University (policy 48-20, 56-30).

  • Students may withdraw at any time during the semester including the last day of classes.
  • Withdrawals are effective the date the form is received by the Registrar's office.
  • Withdrawal will delay normal degree progress, and may have financial implications.
  • Undergraduate students should contact their academic adviser to discuss alternatives. Graduate degree students should contact their academic program of study to discuss alternatives.
  • Dickinson Law students should contact their Associate Dean for Academic Affairs to discuss alternatives.
  • Withdrawal will terminate enrollment in credit courses for current and future semesters except in the case of "summer-only" withdrawal.
  • Withdrawal results in a "W" symbol recorded as the course grade(s) on your transcript.
  • If a course was completed before a withdrawal was processed, a grade or appropriate symbol is recorded.
  • If you desire to withdraw from summer classes but retain your fall class schedule, see the Summer-Only section below.

Process to Withdraw from the University

  1. Undergraduate students, including, degree-seeking provisional and nondegree undergraduate students may initiate a withdrawal by completing a Withdrawal Form.
  2. Graduate Assistants, fellows and trainees should work first with their graduate program; additional assistance can be gathered from the Office of Graduate Fellowships and Awards at gsfellowships@psu.edu or in 205 Kern Building.
  3. Graduate students must complete a withdrawal form. For more information regarding withdrawals, please see the Graduate Enrollment Services website.
  4. Penn State Law students should contact the Penn State Law Registrar's Office.
  5. Dickinson Law students should contact the Dickinson Law Registrar's Office at DSLregistrar@psu.edu.
  6. If you are an undergraduate degree student, you will need to apply for re-enrollment to the university if you choose to return. Undergraduate nondegree students will need to submit an Undergraduate Nondegree Enrollment Form. All graduate students must apply to resume study through Graduate Enrollment Services when they are ready to return.

Students enrolled at University Park in the categories identified below should contact a representative from that office to discuss the impact withdrawal will have. Students in these categories at other campuses should contact the appropriate offices at their campus.

  • Athletes (Varsity) - Morgan Academic Center - Greenberg Complex, McKean Road
  • Comprehensive Studies Program/ACT 101 Students - 325 Grange Building
  • Student Aid recipients - 314 Shields Building
  • International students - 410 Boucke Building
  • Undergraduate Minority students - 220 Grange Building
  • Graduate Minority students - Office of Graduate Education Equity Programs - 111 Kern Building
  • Graduate assistants, fellows and trainees - Office of Graduate Fellowships and Awards - 205 Kern Building
  • Veterans education benefits recipients - 146 Ritenour Building

Summer-Only Withdrawal

Indicating "Summer-only" as the effective semester on the withdrawal form will retain all courses a student has scheduled for the upcoming fall semester. Re-enrollment is not required following a summer-only withdrawal.

  • A "Summer-only" withdrawal is not available to newly admitted undergraduate students during their summer of admission. New summer admits must process a regular withdrawal as outlined above.
  • Withdrawal results in a "W" symbol recorded as the course grade(s) on your transcript.
  • If a course was completed before a withdrawal was processed, a grade or appropriate symbol is recorded. For example, if a withdrawal is requested during Summer Session 2 and classes were completed during Summer Session 1, grades for Summer Session 1 will remain on the student record.
  • When requesting a summer only withdrawal, this is for the entire summer term. If a withdrawal is requested during Summer Session 1 any Summer Session 2 classes will be cancelled.
  • Students who return for the upcoming fall semester do not need to apply for re-enrollment in order to return.

Process to Complete Summer-Only Withdrawal

  1. Undergraduate and graduate students, including nondegree students, may initiate a summer-only withdrawal by completing a Withdrawal Form and indicating "Summer-Only" in the "Effective" field.

Military Withdrawal

Note: Military withdrawal is available only to students who:

  1. Are actively serving members (Active Duty and Reserve Duty Components) of the U.S. armed services (not a contractor or civilian working for the military), and
  2. Are ordered to relocate and, as a result, are unable to meet class attendance and other participation requirements, including web-based activities.

Students should contact the campus Registrar and present a copy of the military orders with formal correspondence on unit letterhead signed by the commander requesting military withdrawal from Penn State due to orders. The formal correspondence must include the following:

  1. Unit commander contact information, and
  2. Verification of duration and location of pending assignment.

Students called to active duty during a semester or session should initiate a military withdrawal (policy J1). Students who process a military withdrawal:

  • Will not be charged tuition for the semester of withdrawal.
  • Will be charged a housing assessment to cover expenses already incurred in university housing.
  • Will have unused meal plan points refunded.
  • Are eligible for "military re-enrollment" to the University, assuring the student access to the same major and location as was assigned at the time of withdrawal.
  • Will have a notation placed in the Special Actions and Notes section of the student's transcript indicating a "military" withdrawal.

Note: The Office of Student Aid and the Bursar's office will automatically be notified when the withdrawal form is processed.

Process to Complete Military Withdrawal

  1. The student must provide a copy of the documentation noted above (orders and formal correspondence) to the Registrar's office at their current campus.
  2. If timing or the situation does not permit a student to present their military orders prior to leaving campus, the student may withdraw by sending a signed written request for a military withdrawal along with a copy of their military orders to the University Registrar's Office by mail or fax.